Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My First Review

So I finally read the review of my book, Daylight's End, on Brianna Lee's Book Reviews (blog), and was very pleased. She only ranked it 3 out of 5 stars, which is good, but not great. Interestingly, what she said about the book, both good and otherwise, is very much what I think of the book also. It's my first published novel and it's good. And I think that's good enough.
     Of course Daylight's End is not my first book. It is common and sound advice that no writer should ever try to publish the first book they ever wrote. I wrote three previous novels that were not fit to be published. I may shorten them to novellas and publish them in the future, but I waited until I wrote a book that I thought was good enough to publish.
     Another reason I think it's fine that my book is good but not great: I e-published.  And that means if I find a way to improve the story, make the characterization stronger or the plot more intense, I can; then I can re-publish a new edition. This is one of the many great, great things about e-publishing.
    An interesting thing about Brianna's review was her brief description of the plot and characters at the beginning. Reviewers typically do this before giving their thoughts on different aspects of the book. I wrote a blog recently commenting on whether it was easier for a reader to briefly describe a book and do it well, when many authors struggle with doing that for their own books. Brianna's description of my book was so different from my own that while everything she said about the story and characters was true, I had difficulty recognizing that the book she described was my book. It was fascinating. I feel her summary of the book, while different from any I have ever written, was effective in making it sound like an interesting book to read.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment