Tuesday, October 2, 2012

'Blog' by Hugh Hewitt

This is so like me. I am sharing information - not quite a review - of a book that has been out for eons, published in 2005. And since it's about technology-related stuff, which ages much more rapidly than other things - its a fossil. I'm banking on their being an updated version out there, and because I (mostly) enjoyed this one so much, I recommend finding it.
    This is not one of those books - of which there are many - that I randomly saw at a family members house (although I did) and started reading because I am addicted to words and will pick up and read anything the way I will automatically eat any chocolate I happen to come across. I deliberately chose to read the book, because I thought it would help me learn how to blog more effectively.
     The subtitle of Blog is Understand the Information Reformation That's Changing Your World. The first part, among highlights of the history of sharing information from the earliest civilizations, gives lengthy details about the powerful way the very first blogs influenced media, politics and the public. I found all of this fascinating, especially the history.
    The second part of the book focuses on how blogging has evolved and how to use it and keep up with and ahead of the changes. The last part of the book gives specifics on how to use blogging to market your product or service.
     While the book turned out to be primarily geared toward businesses and organizations, it also addressed individuals and the many kinds of blogs and motivations for blogging.  It was far from what I expected when I started reading, but I learned a great deal and it gave me many insights that I can apply to my own blogging and that I will share in future posts for other bloggers and writers.
    Even if you have no interest in blogging or its influence and usefulness, this is an interesting book. Hewitt is a talented and entertaining writer - several times I laughed out loud while reading, which is always fun when reading in public places - and the book covers a lot more than blogging. As well as history, it offers business advice and commentary on human nature and changing cultural trends.
   Like many people who write about politics, Hewitt occasionally states unequivocally that certain political views or religious beliefs are "wrong". I don't agree with this, but I am one of those who just smirks at such comments and I don't bother to react to what I see as others narrow mindedness or ignorance. The incidences in the book are very few and not enough that I would warn anyone that they might be offended.
    I strongly recommend this book, a newer updated version if there is one, but if not, this one still has a lot of merit. We can still learn a lot from the ancient writings from throughout history and this can be viewed the same way.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment