Thursday, September 6, 2012

Time Management

I started a new job this week, a few months after having lost my wonderful job working for a book seller whom I really like and with co-workers I really like. I think I will really like my new job and most of the people, though it is a huge company, unlike the staff of four that I was part of previously.
     While I was between jobs, I did not use my free time for writing as much as I should have. During the first part of my unemployment I did finish my second book, which is now being reviewed by my beta reader before being published. But since then I haven't written much at all, and except for blogging, have not had any kind of regular writing routine.
    There has been a lot going on: visit to my dad, moving my father-in-law (by his choice) into - and subsequently (also by his choice) out of  - assisted living, competing in horse shows again for the first time in three years, cousins wedding, job searching, finding contract work to keep paying the bills, etc. But mostly the problem is that once I get off schedule or routine, I struggle to get back to it.
    My last job had set hours 9-5 M-F. My new job has hours and days that change every week. Schedules are posted two weeks in advance, but this will be a huge challenge for my already weak time-management skills.
     I like to feel that once I am less stressed and frantic about regular income and stop doing extra projects and things that I wanted to accomplish before I started working again, that I will settle into my new working life enough to begin writing regularly. Having to schedule my writing at different times of the day and on changing days off will be a struggle for me. But I'm always talking about improving one's writing skills and one of the writing skills I always need to work on is self-discipline and managing writing time. A challenge is usually a good thing.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment