Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tense And Point of View

I read somewhere that writing in the first-person is harder than writing in third, and that first-person narration should not be attempted by beginning writers. I disagree with this. I feel it is easier to keep the correct perspective when writing from the "I" point of view.
     I know this isn't always true, even for me. My critique buddies often cite me for having my protagonist mention something she couldn't possibly know. But first person narration is much easier than trying to keep the correct point of view when writing in third person, where it's too easy to just mention things that would only be seen or understood by someone who is not the main character.
    Regardless of preference or writing ability, some books and stories are more suited to one type of narration or point of view than others. The Sherlock Holmes books wouldn't work nearly as well if written in any other way than from Watson's first-person perspective.
   I have also read that present tense is very common/popular in stories and books. I find this hard to believe. I read a lot and very rarely come across anything written in present tense.
    It is said that present tense is great for giving a story a sense of immediacy, which is something I didn't fully understand until recently. I have just now finished (seemingly after everyone else on the planet already had) reading The Hunger Games Trilogy, which is written in the present tense. The few times I've read stories in this tense, it always felt awkward to me. It works so well in The Hunger Games, I was hardly aware of it.
     Random observation: Another thing I noticed in  Hunger Games - and think is unusual and possibly advised against - is that many of the tag lines are written as, "says Peeta" or "says Cinna", rather than the more common "Peeta says." or "Cinna says.". Because of the nature of the story, the setting and atmosphere, this also feels right, where it might not in other works of fiction.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment