Thursday, September 20, 2012

Character Interviews

I am a big fan of character interviews. Even more than author interviews, they can give potential readers a great introduction to your book. But only if they are done well. I read one recently on a writer's blog that was not. The character gave no details about his adventures except to say they were difficult and he had scars. The only impression I got about the character was that he was a surly whiner.
     A writer fb friend recently posted that she wanted to do a character interview, but never knew what questions to ask. I feel the same way. I once thought that I could just read other's character interviews to get some ideas, but that doesn't work. The questions have to be tailored to reveal what it is you want to show about the story or the characters.
    I have been working on my first character interview to put on my book website. I'm looking for things that are unique about the story and the characters and trying to formulate questions around those things. It's a slow process as many questions and responses are considered and rejected - probably not unlike how a journalist decides what part of an interview gets included in an article.
   I've seen character interviews done two ways: in a simple question and answer format or like magazine articles - "When I first met so-and-so, we were meeting in the lobby of...". Again, I think the method has to be chosen according to how you want the characters and story portrayed.
   It's not a bad idea to consider interviews with secondary characters, especially if they are important to the plot or just add a significant aspect, like amusing, quirky sidekick or knowledgeable advisor to the protagonist(s). These characters can offer insights and perspective that the heroes and heroines may not be able to.
     If nothing else, it is said that interviewing your characters, even if you don't share this with fans and or potential readers, is a great way to become more familiar with your characters. If you learn something new about them, it may help improve characterization or give you new plot ideas.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment