Thursday, September 13, 2012

Short vs. Long Blog Posts

I read somewhere (I do that a lot) that blog posts should be short; that's supposed to be the nature of a blog. Some people may disagree and people have different opinions of what "short" is.
     Personally, I prefer to read blog posts that are only a few paragraphs. It's possible that is just because of my short attention span.  I do enjoy well-written longer posts, but it is my belief - if not something I'm good at - that a talented writer should be able to get a point across successfully in a small number of words. Some of the blogs I read that have longer posts are awesome and have great messages or information. But some are very wordy and I feel could have been written more succinctly.
     I try to keep my posts short. Part of the trick to that is choosing topics that can be written about briefly while still being covered adequately. This is good practice for writing skills in general.
    However, I also wonder: what is considered too short?  If a post is very short, that might imply that the topic wasn't significant enough to warrant writing about. Or that not enough was shared and/or the topic wasn't sufficiently covered.
    I believe that certain ideas or information can be shared with very few words. I'm a big fan of sharing adages; they are short and some of them are potent. And there are things that cannot be said in too few words. As with most things, there's a balance to be achieved. Yet another writing skill to be worked on and improved.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment