Thursday, May 31, 2012

Writers "On Gratitude"

I am reading a book called "on gratitude" by Todd Aaron Jensen. It is a collection of interviews with celebrities of various types - actors, writers, musicians, athletes - about things in their lives they are grateful for. I thought some of the quotes were worth passing on. Most of these are from writers, but many of the actors, comedians and musicians also have something to say about creativity, perseverance and inspiration.

"When I write something, if I'm enjoying the story, I'm happy with it. I'm not so unique. If I like it, other people probably will, too. You can't tell a great story if you're writing for 'them'; You don't know 'them'. You can only know yourself, so be true to that." - Stan Lee

"Creativity doesn't bless the idle. You have to work. Work and the creativity will come...if it feels like it. If it doesn't, well, at least there's work." -Alton Brown

"I'm in love with writing. It's never been work. That is a real blessing." - Ray Bradbury

"I'm grateful for anything that reminds me of what's possible in this life. Books can do that." - Jonathan Safran Foer

"The glory of being a writer is as fundamental as having something to write with and something to write on. I adore that simplicity." - Neil Gaiman

"I'm a poet. I'm always in love. I write better when I am in love." - Nikki Giovanni

"In an age where so many people believe that language means nothing to what a book means or achieves, it really matters to my readers what the writing is like. They love the metaphor, the simile, the imagery and I'm so grateful to have this beautiful language at my disposal." - Dean Koontz

"You learn how to tell stories by hearing them." - Elmore Leonard

"My first book got twenty-four rejection letters. There were only twenty publishers at the time, which means some people wrote me twice to make sure I got the point. I still believe to this day that if it had been a home run right off the bat, I would never have appreciated anything else I have today. I'm grateful it took some time for me to find success." - Brad Meltzer

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment