Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Stretching Creative Muscles

At the most recent creative writing meeting of the LWC we had a mini-lesson on the meanings of and differences between analogy, metaphor and simile. Then we did an exercise to practice using these writing tools.
     It seems there is an effective four-step process to creating and using analogies in various forms. Who knew?
    At first I wondered if creating good analogies and solid metaphors was worth the effort of having learn a four-step process and practice working with it. If analogy is not something that comes naturally for you in your writing, why force it?
     I appreciate a good analogy as much as I do good description, even though I my descriptive writing skills are poor (as are my skills with metaphors). Of course, analogy is a form of description; in my mind, an elevated form. And though I struggle with sensory description in my writing (and in my posts on Elmore Leonard's writing advice I supported the idea that it wasn't necessary to have description to produce good writing), I am always in favor of working to improve any and all writing skills.
     As with my experience in writing poetry - that I don't and have no wish to write - creative exercises with various forms and aspects of poetry can positively affect how you use words and language in whatever kind of writing you do. I noticed this same effect in learning about and working with analogy.
   The exercises we did in our creative writing meeting was fun as well as enlightening. Learning new writing skills and techniques, even ones you may think you have no use for or any desire to use, is  a good thing.
     Stepping outside your usual milieu and working with types of  writing that are new and unfamiliar may bring new perspective to your work. Expanding your knowledge can help you find unexpected ways to enhance all your writing.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment