Thursday, November 1, 2012

Writing Yoga

In my last post I mentioned that I was reading a book about meditation and not sure why, but I have come across several phrases and images in it that I find thought provoking. Today's was, "Every time you come back to yoga practice, you see the effect of not having done it for awhile." The next paragraph clarifies that you realize how much harder it is after any lack of practice; but when I first read it, applying the idea to writing, I thought maybe there was some positive impression that could be gained from coming back after a break.
    So, I've been trying to think of what beneficial effects you might see after a hiatus and I'm not finding any. Sigh. The only one I can think of right now is realizing how much you miss writing when you have been away from it for a time. I am just now getting to that point again after a few months off. It's too much to hope that you might come back to writing with some great new skill or perspective, but maybe it could happen. I write fiction; I can believe in these things.
     The lesson here - again - is that not practicing your craft just makes it harder, dulls your skills and sets you back in your works in progress and growth as a writer (or as anything else). So follow my advice and not my example and keep at it.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment