Tuesday, November 20, 2012

To Blog Or Not

As I was contemplating another post on the subject of blogging, I happened to read an article reposted on our writer's group (LWC) fb page. It was about blogging: "Would Jane Austin Have Written A Blog?" by Cath Murphy. Interesting article and Ms. Murphy is a very entertaining writer.
     In it, the author opined that you should only write a blog if you have something to say. Now I don't understand people who blog about their everyday adventures, even when they are amusing or informative. However, I have also wondered if my blog, where I try to share encouragement, advice, experiences and information about writing is really helpful to anyone. I do, on some days, feel what I post may be useful to someone.
    Ms. Murphy also said you shouldn't blog out of a sense of duty. I'm not sure what that means. I guess it could apply to one of my reasons for blogging: to keep myself in the habit of writing regularly and keeping to a self-imposed deadline.
    The statement that most caught my attention was that a writer should not blog "to feel like you are writing, when you are not." That speaks directly to another of my reasons for blogging, which is to use it as a writing exercise. I more than occasionally think I use blogging as a way to write when I am "not able" - I use that term loosely and relative to my lack of self-discipline - to work on any other writing projects. But for the most part, I do consider it a valid writing exercise. I try hard to find topics I think are relevant and I work to convey my ideas and information clearly.  It really is an effort for me.
    I feel Ms. Murphy is one of those who thinks any kind of writing that is not productive work on a publishable project is a waste of time that should be spent on 'real' writing. I know many writers believe that as well, and it may be true for some people. However, I am of the school that you need to write regularly, and if emails, random haiku or blog posts are all you can manage at a given time, it is worthwhile.
  

www.daylightsend.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment