Tuesday, June 26, 2012

When Bad Is Good

My last post was about writers growing and improving their skills. It is sometimes hard for people to see improvement in their own work.
    Most writers look back on their early work and are appalled at how bad it is. As writers, we find it hard to believe that when we produced the writing that we look back on as awful, we thought it was really good at the time we wrote it.
   We always view it in terms of how bad it was then. I don't recall ever hearing a fellow writer say, "When I read my writing/stories from years ago, I'm amazed at how much better my writing is now." - which is how we should look at it.
    Writers also need to recognize that the writing they look back on and see as "awful" and remember thinking it was really good, probably was really good, if they were writing to the best of their ability at that time. Even if our early work was not our best writing, it was still good in the sense that it helped us practice and learn to a point where we appreciate that we are better writers now than we used to be.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

1 comment: