Thursday, November 3, 2011

Miscellaneous Randomness

     To start with, how many people can spell that title without having to look it up? The reason I can fits under this heading. I have a horse with that name.
      His mother's name was Random. Her registered name was P.S. Pretty Chick - ugh! - and I gave her the show name Perfectly Random. She was a mostly white Paint mare with chestnut only on the top of her head covering both ears and both eyes, which were blue. Very random-looking. Anyway, I chose to name her colt Miscellaneous, but the Paint Horse registry gives you three name choices (limited to 22 characters including spaces) and then they pick one. I chose Miscelleaneous, Random Miscellanea, and RandomlyMiscellaneous and they of course picked my third choice. (This could be tied into my posts on character names. Registered and show names and "barn names" of horses are their own special world. Aforementioned colt's barn name is Turner.)
      Where was I going with this? Randomness. Right.
      Writers and their blogs are supposed to share helpful information about writing and where to find more info and advice. I often mention my writer's group, Living Writer's Collective(.blogspot.com) and our director keeps our blog updated with useful insights, links (including the websites and blogs of various members, who are writers of every ilk) and what we have covered and learned during our meetings. Our director also has her own website, also filled with helpful fun stuff: mywritingloft.blogspot.
     Our group has a closed fb page where we share writing tips, encouragement and inspiration among ourselves. Recenly a member posted an article about the 10 Types Of Writers Block And How To Overcome Them. She posted a link, but I don't know how to do that. She got it off a site called io9, which, when I checked it out, has all kinds of unique and weird stuff. Worth visiting.
     Another member posted an article about National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), which is November. If you want to start/write a novel or just practice for when you do, it's a fun way to go.
     For Christmas my sister got me a book called the Daily Writer. As you might guess it has daily topics about writing in no apparent order, and offers suggestions and excercises. Some of it is helpful to me and it has other stuff that is interesting and thought provoking. I will choose some of my favorite pages to share in future blogs.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the group and the personal plug. Enjoyed your miscellaneous randomness.

    Call me sometime when you're writing your blog, and I can walk you through how to do the links. It's so super easy, you'll wonder why you didn't learn it sooner.

    Basically, when you're writing the post and you want to link something like my blog, for example, you click on the little blue "Link" option on the bar above your post box. A box will pop up that asks you what URL to link to - this is where you type or paste in the address www.mywritingloft.blogspot.com. Then just above that it says "Text to display" and in that box you type the name of the blog "My Writing Loft" and it will know what to do from there. Then your readers can automatically link to your recommended sites.

    Still, feel free to call me if you need help.

    ReplyDelete