Tuesday, November 8, 2011

As If I Have Time For A New Favorite Author

I have found another author whose books I'm afraid I will have to read all of. His was one of the random books I picked up and started reading and from page one I was hooked. This particular novel is called Orpheus Rising by Bateman. His first name is Colin, but apparently he's going by Bateman now - according to him - as a marketing ploy.
     I can't begin to explain what the book is about or even what kind of book it is other than fiction, but it's certainly not what I would call literary - which is a kind of fiction I've never been able to develop a fondness for. But I loved the the main characters immediately and I think I'm more a fan of character driven story's than plot driven. I'm also of the opinion that an author who can create fabulous characters is going to be talented enough to come up with a plot worthy of them.
     I checked out Bateman's website and I think I really like him as a person as well. He's funny, which is always a plus, but also straight-forward and down-to-earth, traits I also admire (and not just because those words contain hyphens, a bit of punctuation that I am quite fond of - as well as parentheses). According to his website some of the authors who's books he likes to read are some I like as well.
     Now while I'm trying to spend more time working on my own writing I'm going to be drawn to finding more of his books and spending precious time reading them. However, we writers are often told that reading great books, especially the kind we like to write, is one of the best ways to improve your own writing.  So I'm going with that.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment