Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Location

After my recent bout of missed blog posts, I've gone back to my previously successful practice of writing a blog post any time I happen to have a few spare minutes: Dr.'s office, in my truck while hay is being loaded,  waiting for the pharmacy to open, etc. For some reason this always works for me, in spite of having the common problem at other times of not being able to find a worthwhile idea to write about on demand.
     I suspect this has something to do with the location.  If I already have a topic I want to post about, I can usually write it anytime and anywhere.   If I am stuck on deciding what subject I want to address in a post - or have difficulty expressing what I'm trying to say on a chosen topic - being somewhere other than my office helps.
     A different environment, and different scenery, affects the way we think about things. If you let your mind wander, your attention will be drawn to the things around you. If I'm waiting at my neighbors farm for hay loading I will notice the cute herd of donkeys in the next field, how my hay guy's horse is similar to some of mine, if I would prefer a tractor like he owns over the one that I have. A waiting room has magazines I've never heard of  that have subjects I'm not familiar with. The folks waiting with me have some fascinating conversations. All of these things are inspirational in terms of writing.
   According to some writers, we can train ourselves to be inspired at any given time. That may not be true for all of us, so we have to make use of anything that helps our creativity.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment