Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bloggers' Block

I have prided myself the last several months on keeping up with my blogging schedule of posting twice a week, even when I'm not doing so well working on other writing projects regularly. My reasoning is that this is good practice for keeping a regular deadline and for exercising my writing muscles.
     Even when I'm not feeling particularly clever or creative, I rarely have trouble coming up with things to blog about. Since I try to make my blog posts always relevant in some way, I don't want to just rant or share random useless information.
     This week, however, I'm not feeling motivated and have nothing in mind that I want to share or explore through my blog post. My dilemma makes me wonder if it is better to force myself to come up with something to post, even if it's not interesting or well-expressed, or just give myself a day off.
     Conventional writing wisdom says we should make ourselves write even when we don't feel like it or don't know where we want to go with our particular WIP. That's fine if you do so with the understanding that you might get in a zone and produce something brilliant OR might write crap that simply has to be thrown out.
     Can't really do that if you make yourself write and post something on your blog. If all you are capable of producing at the time is worthless blather, it's not worth posting. You are only wasting your time and worse, your reader's time.
    So this issue has given me something to think and write about and it might be a useful topic for others to think about. But what if it didn't and wasn't? Is it worth the effort to try and if I create something worthwhile, publish the post, or be unsuccessful in writing a post worth sharing and just not publish it?
     I'm inclined to think the former is the best course. If this were an article or story for a publication that had to be completed (and well-written) by a certain deadline, I would certainly try every way to accomplish the task. Like a lot of things in the writing life, it's difficult, but worth doing.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly .com

No comments:

Post a Comment