Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Write Something Every Day

     This is one of those very few bits of advice given by and to every writer. And the general idea is to write something; anything. I'm sure that does do all the good things it's supposed to, exercising the creative muscles and whatever, but does it do enough?
     I have been sick for over a week. (Getting old sucks. I used to just work through whatever illness, never miss a day, eventually get over it. Now I totally crash for 4 or 5 days and still don't get well.) While I have not felt well enough to take on my current WIP - which is actually just (hopefully the last) revisions of my next book - I have made myself do some kind of writing and or writing related work: blogging, critiquing, emails, etc.
     When I finally got back to my revisions, which had been rolling along quite smoothly, I felt lost. As we all know happens, if you take a few days away from your work, you have to spend days reacquainting yourself with the world and the characters and the story. I KNOW THIS. So why do I let it happen?
     The answer is simple: I felt so lousy I didn't care if I had to start reading from chapter one again to get back into my work. I thought, "It's just one day, one more day, a few days, how much can it matter?" But now I'm healthy...and frustrated.
     Will I ever learn? Probably not. So, what to do about it? Start reading from chapter one to get my momentum back. And keep going. Again.

www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com
www.jennifermballard.com

No comments:

Post a Comment