Thursday, January 5, 2012

Managing Writing Time

     I am NOT a person who needs to be commenting on this, except from the how-not-to-do-it point of view. I have no self-discipline and am as distractable and procrastinating as any writer, possibly more than most. If you check back, you will see that I actually wrote a post on using solitaire as a writing tool.
     Recently a writer friend posted a link on our writers' group facebook page to a site called Writer Unboxed ("The Secret To Finding Time to Write").  One of the quotes we liked best in this article on writing time management was the advice to stop reading writing advice. While that seems oxymoronish in general, the author did elaborate on why and when you might want to forego seeking information about writing. The idea is to seek out advice and information about writing when you need specific help or inspriation, not a(nother) source of procrastination.
     So while the statement "stop reading writing advice" in an article of writing advice seems contradictory, it really isn't. I have noticed that, at least on the surface, much general writing advice is contradictory. I have found a few recommendations about writing that don't have an opposite and equally valid suggestion from somewhere and I mean to explore them.  I also plan to investigate both sides of other bits of advice writers share that go directly against the guidance and opinions of other writers and writing instructors.
     I am certain that in the process, I will learn something. Hopefully, a lot of things.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment