Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Seven Plot Theory

It seems the theory that there are only seven plots in (the history of) the world has been around forever and discussed and debated countless times. Interestingly, after my recent bit (emphasis on bit = tiny amount) of research on this topic, I'm unclear as to what they are.
       One article I read refered to them this way: "Man vs. self, man vs. nature, etc." As far as I know, the etc. is man vs. man and that's only three basic plots.  The plots I thought of include variations of: boy meets/loses/gets girl, hero faces/struggles/solves problem, protagonist desires/quests/attains goal... hmm...that's all I got. And again, that's only three.
        However, a single plot has lots of variables. (This always reminds me of Sonic Drive-in's claim that they have a dozen or so flavors and that equals eighty-six hundred-plus drink combinations.) 
        When you consider the different aspects of plots - setting, character, situation, conflict, and complication just to name a few- even if there are only seven basic plots, each of those aspects has innumerable possibilities. Even if there were only a certain number of intriguing conflicts, situations or settings, but countless types characters with myriad individual traits and any number of potential complications...I struggle with simple math, so this kind of calculation is beyond me, but I have to see the opportunity for unique stories as endless.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment