Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Crossfire

This is the fourth offering of the Dick Francis/Felix Francis writing duo. As I've said in other posts, after reading the first collaboration I was hopeful; it was not nearly the caliber of Dick Francis other novels, but not bad. The next two were very disappointing. I happened to read Gamble - number five - next and was pleased to find that some of Dick's amazing talent was, as I hoped, emerging in Felix.
    So I went back and read the fourth novel, Crossfire, and was again let down...until half-way through the book. Then the story and main character both got more interesting and from that point the novel resembled Dick Francis' style.
   I know it is not fair to compare Felix's writing to his dad's. If I were him, I would want my own style - it's never fun to be constantly measured against another who was amazing at their craft.  I do want Felix to excel at his own writing and I want to love it.
   Crossfire, at least the first half, still shows some amateur writing gaffes that drive me crazy. One example (not a direct quote): "'I can't believe it!' I exclaimed. I was astonished." Really?
    While I can't recommend Silks or Even Money, I think mystery readers and Francis fans would like Dead Heat, Crossfire and Gamble. I am glad to have enjoyed these last two and I am looking forward to the next one.


www.daylightsend.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment