Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Well, Darn.

In my post, "Welcome Visitors! So...Who Are You?", I noted (having just learned about blog 'Stats') the astounding number of page views my blog has had in the past several months. I wondered who all these people were and how they had come across my blog.
      I played around with stats again recently and found you can see what part of the world your views are from.  When I investigated, I learned fascinating things.
     Of the 482 view to date, only 321 are from the US. Of the other 161, 95 are from Russia (!), 25 from Germany (Yay! I like this because I was born in Berlin - to American parents, but my grandparents were German - and lived in Bonn the first several years of my life. German was my first language.), 2 from France, and between 3 and 6 views from Latvia, India, Malaysia, Canada, Ukraine and Qatar. I am geographically challenged and couldn't find most of those last ones on a map. And I've never heard of Qatar.
     This leads me to the disappointing conclusion that a large percentage of my viewers came across my blog by accident and probably didn't even glance at it. This should not surprise me. How often when am I trying to navigate the web do I end up somewhere I didn't mean and never expected to be? But it took away a lot of the fun I had thinking of all these viewers reading and being encouraged, inspired, and entertained by my posts. I now know most of them were probably just very annoyed.
     This feels similar to having your writing rejected after encouraging success (even if only imagined), but I know how to deal with that. Just keep producing the best work you can and never give up sending it out into the world.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment