Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why I Don't Write Poetry

     I am supposed to be attending the monthly poetry reading at Landmark Booksellers this evening, but could not due to transportation and family issues. Not a totally bad thing because I've been to one before and while I really enjoyed it, I always feel a little awkward that I don't read any poems to the group. The understanding is that no one has to, but most everyone will read at least two poems. Participants can read an original poem or one they like written by another poet, famous or obscure.
     My problem with this is I've written very few poems and they are clearly the work of an amateur who has only a vague idea what poetry is and no clue how to write it. And I don't read enough poetry to be able to select one to share, certainly not with a group of poetry aficionados. If I go to next month's poetry reading, which I'd like to do, I will have to find a solution to this dilemma.
      At some of our creative writing meetings, LWC has focused on poetry and most of us attempt it, some finding that they have a large or small gift for it, some learning (or confirming) that they have none. The most recent LWC poetry prompt was to write an ode. For our purposes, "ode" was defined as starting with the words "Oh, how I love thee." I'm sure that's not necessary for a poem to be an ode, and a true ode has other requirements, but that should tell you the level where most of us are in regard to poetry.
     I found it is not difficult to write about something you love (or don't love) and it's various aspects. Here is what I created:

Ode To A Black Mare

Oh, how I love thee,
my wonderful, worthless mare.
Affectionate when you're not trying to bite me,
happy to see me when I have treats;
willing to do what I ask, unless you don't want to,
taking care to keep me balanced on your back,
except when you are trying to throw me off.
Agreeable when you are  not moody,
obedient when you are not in heat,
you are beautiful when you are brushed and groomed
and not languishing, mud-covered in a field.
Graceful when you are not lame,
energetic when you are not obese and unfit;
expensive to feed even when you are useless
and I don't have time to spend with you.
How you must wish for an owner who took better care,
or could afford to call the vet about your most recent unsoundness.
You are a constant source of joy and pride to me,
and always, always loved.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment