Tuesday, September 27, 2011

About That Muse...

     A writer friend of mine recently joined the Writers' Loft program at MTSU and one of their first excercises was to visualize their muse. She was delighted to learn that hers took the form of a beautiful, strong chestnut horse. When I commented that a horse would be very suitable muse for me, she asked what mine looked like.
     I responded that mine was apparently a shapeshifter and possibly schizophrenic. (Wanna know how to really piss of your muse...?) Mostly I envision my muse as an angel or a fairy, but sometimes a winged unicorn/pegasus or a dragon. (Interesting that the forms are always winged.)What my muse is consistent about is being female. That explains the moody, unpredicatable, unreasonable reputation all muses have, but it could also be attributed to 'artistic temperment'.
     I am lucky that mine is mostly good-natured, if frequently MIA. I have one writer friend whose muse is so mean, she has a video of it appearing in its corporeal form and pooping on her WIP. My muse is never critical or discouraging, for which I am grateful. If she's not always around when I need her...well, if we didn't ever struggle, we wouldn't appreciate the times when writing is easy.

www.jennifermballard.com
www.daylightsend.weebly.com
www.trustindarkness.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment